Lock Your PC With USB Drive As Key To Unlock PC Instead Of Passwords
Most users use Win+L to lock their Windows PC but software solutions to lock your PC can be overcomed easily.For more better security you can make use of a USB Pen Drive as a key to unlock your PC.Predator is free tool that lets you pair up your USB Drive and your system and help lock and unblock your PC using only the same USB Pen Drive.
Using Predator you can also lock your live session by simply unplugging the USB Drive, and immediately your mouse and keyboard are locked and your monitor screen darken.Plug the USB flash drive in place and the keyboard and mouse are immediately released, and the display is restored.
But before that you need to setup your USB Flash Drive to pair up with your system.Here’s how to do that
- Install Predator
- On the first launch you are asked to enter a password and to prepare a USB flash drive.Insert the USB Drive and Click “OK”.
- A Preferences Window is shown
- Enter New Password, Incase you lose your USB Pen Drive you will be able to unlock your session using this.
- Choose the Drive Letter, that assigned to the PenDrive ( Check In My Computer for the Drive Letter ) and choose it from the dropdown menu.
- Click “Create Key”.
- Click “OK”
- Check out the details about each setting here.
Predator also has a few added security features like :
- Records all security-related events in a log file.
- Frequently changes the security codes recorded on your USB drive.
- Disables the Windows task manager, so that nobody can even close the application by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del
- Sound an alarm if an invalid password is entered.
- You can prtotect multiple PC’s with the same key.
Next time you Remove / Plugin in your USB Thumb Drive, you can find predator running in the system tray with this icon in the tray.
Note : All existing files on your USD drive remain intact and no files are deleted.
Predator is compatible with Windows XP SP1 or later, Windows 2000 SP3, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista all editions and requires Microsoft. NET Framework 2.0 installed.